Saturday, October 2, 2010

General Update

Yesterday's appointment with the orthopedist was pretty good.  I was surprised when he told me that he thought my neck problem and Carpal Tunnel were unrelated though.  I always just assumed that the bulging discs were pinching something that was causing the occasional wrist pain, but he didn't think so.  I guess based on the pattern of wrist pain, it is its own separate issue.  So, I'll add to my list the nerve test (EMG) that he wants me to have.  I'll take care of that sometime after recovery from surgery.  He also suggested another facet injection for my neck.  That's the scary needle that injects cortisone (or other numbing medication) through the muscles and into the facet space, which is between the muscle and bone.  I had one once before, when I woke up one morning in terrible pain, and it definitely helped.  Surgery would be another option, but I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for that!

I'm feeling ok today... a little tired, as usual, but only a minor headache.  Nothing compared to my usual migraines.  Sean and I had to spend a good amount of time last night and this morning cleaning up the water in our basement from the recent storms.  I'm sure that pushing the steam vac wasn't helping my neck and shoulder.  But these are the parts of life that have to be done, and the reason I need to be all around healthier.  Now the whole house smells musty so clearly there is still more work to be done.

My surgery time for Monday is set.  I will arrive at the hospital at 10:30 to prep for a noon procedure.  I had hoped my arrival time would be earlier (to avoid the migraine from lack of food and caffeine!), but as long as I can just get this over with.  Also, a 10:30 arrival actually makes things easier.  Sean and I can get the kids ready for school and out the door, then have some time to prepare ourselves before leaving for the hospital.  I won't have to get up at the crack of dawn to shower.  : )

Today is a busy day.  I've already taken Megan to her dance class, done a bit of shopping while she was there, and then met Sean and Jackson at the Fall Jamboree at Jackson's school.  Sean is still there with the kids, and I came home to rest for a bit.  When they finish there, we're all going to a local restaurant for a late lunch to see a band play.  I'm sure the kids are going to love it, and it will give us a chance to see an old friend that Sean used to play with in a band.

No comments:

Post a Comment