Monday, October 11, 2010

Eating Healthy

I think I'm doomed.  One of my goals to get healthy is to eat healthy.  I'm not a good cook.  I admit that freely.  I try, but I can't even boil water properly.  I have a strange habit of letting the pot boil over, which makes a mess on the stove.  I have no idea what the problem is but I really can't seem to get it right.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise then that my last 3 attempts at making healthy food have not turned out so well.  I found some great recipes for foods that are high in the nutrients that I need to help with fibromyalgia, use unprocessed ingredients, and seemed like things that the whole family would enjoy, so I thought I'd give some of them a try.

First up was Banana Cherry Nut Bread.  Megan was thrilled to help me make this.  She poured in ingredients, mixed, mashed bananas.  The bread smelled wonderful while it was cooking.  Megan was begging for a piece of it.  She finally had a piece with dinner and promptly declared, "I don't like it."  Jackson didn't like it either.  I'll admit, it's not as sweet as a normal banana bread.  It's not terrible, but definitely not the hit I had hoped it would be.

The next attempt was hummus.  I have no idea what happened with the hummus.  It seemed like such a simple recipe that would be very tasty.  But instead it was more like a solid than a dip.  Sean even broke a wooden spoon trying to scoop some out of the Cuisinart.  Imagine sticking a cracker in that!  And it had no flavor.  In the end, I was able to work it more and make it edible (and dipable), but how does one screw up a simple mix like that?!  Only me...

Finally, for dinner last night, I had planned to make a Broccoli Cheese Pie.  It was basically a quiche, so I thought the kids would like it.  Unfortunately, by 4:00 yesterday afternoon I had worn myself out so I had to have Sean make dinner.  He's a much better cook than I am anyway.  But, with all of the slicing and dicing of fresh herbs and ingredients, he cut his finger!  Thankfully, he was ok and able to finish cooking.  I thought this meal was actually delicious.  The kids hated it.  Figures.  Can't win.

I'm starting to feel like all of my attempts to have my family (and of course, myself!) eat healthy are doomed.  I'll keep trying.  I know every little bit helps.  I think tonight might end up being a not-so-healthy meal though.  I'm still fairly worn out, and Sean will be taking Jackson to a doctors appointment after work so we'll have to sacrifice with an easy meal tonight.  Tomorrow's another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment