Tuesday, February 8, 2011

One down, 55 to go!

I'm supposed to have a total of 56 treatments, unless my blood tests show that I am "cured" sooner.  Technically, it's 2 months of treatment, but given that it's only Monday through Friday, it makes the total time closer to 3 months.  3 days a week I take an additional oral antibiotic, and on the weekends I take ANOTHER oral antibiotic.  Goodness!

Treatment #1 was today.  First, the nurse drew blood.  It's kind of nice having the PICC because they can take blood right from there without having to stick me again.  Then I sat in a comfy recliner for an hour while the IV dripped.  I had my laptop and was able to work the whole time.  After my treatment, the nurse changed the dressing on the PICC.  Thankfully this will only occur once a week because that was the worst part!  Ripping off all that tape, then swabbing (or, stinging) with alcohol, and finally rubbing the area that is bruised with betadine.  Not much fun but I lived through it.  The nurse was actually laughing at me, saying he had never seen anyone react to tape removal like I did.  It HURT!

As for the PICC, well it almost made me pass out last night.  My arm was feeling ok, so when I went to change into my pajamas I thought I would show Sean what it looks like (still covered with tape, but I knew he'd want to see).  I had just taken the mesh covering off and was moving my arm around a bit when I started to feel cold and clammy.  I could feel the blood draining from my head so I quickly went to lay down.  Thankfully, that passed but my arm was hurting when I went to sleep.  I took some ibuprofen and propped my arm up on an extra pillow to avoid leaning *that vein* on anything.  I guess the ibuprofen worked because I woke up with less pain.  It still feels bruised today, but the nurses said that as it heals it will feel better.  Call me crazy, but I feel like I can tell exactly where it is in my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment