Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day One

Today was interesting. The doctor has me on 2 medications. The first is the same one that I was on last time. The 2nd is supposed to help the first one work better. Although the first one took longer than the usual hour to drip (just to make sure I didn't have a reaction to it since it's been a while), there were no problems. The 2nd medication needs to drip for over an hour to avoid reactions to too much at once. Mine took closer to 2 hours. And I'm glad, because I guess things could have been worse if it had gone faster.

About 10 minutes before it was done, I started to get itchy. I didn't really think too much about it. Lots of things can make me itchy. But one of the nurses insisted I take benadryl before I left. She said I looked a little flushed, which is one of the side effects. I didn't really want the benadryl since it makes me so sleepy. I was worried about driving home. I'm glad I listened to her though.

A few minutes into the car ride, the itching got much worse. I mean, I felt like I didn't have enough fingers to scratch everything! My right wrist was on fire from the itch, and then it moved to my hand. After that, I noticed that my hand felt funny. My palm and thumb started swelling. My fingers got a little swollen, just enough to feel strange when I tried to bend them. This lasted until after I got home.

I guess it was good timing that the benadryl kicked in right after I got home. The swelling didn't progress anymore, and the sleepiness took over. By the time I woke up, my hand was mostly better and the itching was gone. I can only imagine how bad it would have gotten if I hadn't taken the benadryl.

Let's hope that tomorrow is better!

No comments:

Post a Comment