Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Strep Throat Natural Remedies

I'm fairly sure strep throat is something everyone can relate to. We've all had it at one time or another in our lives. And everyone rushes to the doctor for the rapid strep test (and maybe a regular test if the rapid test is negative) and then a bunch of antibiotics. Like most illnesses, the key is how your immune system handles it, and strep throat is no different. For us Lymies, strep throat, or the side effects of it, can linger around for quite some time because our immune systems aren't capable of fighting them off.

The other issue for Lymies is something that most people take for granted: to antibiotic or not to antibiotic, depending on what treatment we're currently on. Sometimes we're already on antibiotics, but strep gets through anyway and we need to add an extra med. But sometimes we're in a rest period, where we need to let our bodies heal from all the antibiotics we've previously taken, and adding a new med during this time isn't really the best option. Of course, sometimes we have to do it anyway, because what's worse than strep throat? Strep throat that's untreated.

Up until now, like most people, I thought antibiotics was my only choice when I came down with strep throat about a month ago. As soon as I saw those tell-tale white spots on my throat, along with the other symptoms, I rushed to the phone to call my doctor.

But on the way to the phone, I spotted my Cowden products, and I took a second to think things over. There was a reason my doctor didn't want me on antibiotics right now. And I had no idea if Cowden would get messed up if I threw a bunch of antibiotics into the mix. So I thought, "I can give it a little while. I'll do some research first." I figured there had to be a way to get rid of strep throat naturally - something I'd never really thought about before.

What I came up with was that there are quite a few natural methods to get rid of strep. I'm not going to list them all because it would take forever, but I'll just tell you what I tried and why.

Essentially, I used Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar and Oil of Oregano. My reason for selecting these two was that I'd already read up on their benefits for other reasons (Lyme, candida, general wellness, etc.) and knew they worked for certain maladies. As it is, I've been taking oil of oregano regularly for a while, and when I feel a cold or something coming on, I up my dose and it gets rid of the illness quickly.

So what did I do? I increased my dose of oil of oregano and started taking apple cider vinegar. I had already been taking oil of oregano twice a day, so I went to three times a day. I gargled with some apple cider vinegar mixed into warm water, and I also drank some apple cider vinegar mixed in water twice a day. In addition, I occasionally swabbed some oil of oregano directly on the white spots on my tonsil (yes, it only infected one, and I think starting this regimen quickly kept it from ever getting to the other tonsil) using a Q-tip.

The results? Pretty amazing. The strep still had to run its course. The white spots did linger for a little more than a week, but they got smaller each day. The sore throat was manageable. It never got out of hand. I did spike a fever about four days after starting the treatment, but a fever is a way of your body telling you it's fighting something off. I took that as a good sign that my immune system was working against the strep. I kept up the oil of oregano and apple cider vinegar after the symptoms and spots disappeared, just to be safe.

In the end, I'm pretty confident that I did have strep even though it was never confirmed by a doctor, and that I beat it without antibiotics.

No comments:

Post a Comment